Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Tracking Macros

Part of why I loved keto was because after you learned what was "okay" or "not okay" to eat, you don't need to track. I hate tracking what I eat. Sure, I'd periodically spot track for a day to be sure I was on target, but there wasn't the day in/day out tracking. Ugh. IIFYM is the opposite of that. It's not that I "don't have the time" it's just that I don't like to. It's tedious and feels a bit obsessive. You know what I do like about it though? It means that I can have potatoes.


2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! About 12 hours after thinking "Hey, yeah ... I could try IIFYM" and doing the calculator stuff and changing my MFP settings and whatnot ... I decided that it was all just too much of an ongoing headache. I'm going to try the whole "calories in/calories out" bit again. At least until I get a better mental handle on other stuff that really needs the brain function that I was devoting to macros ... or I gain 20 pounds ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm rededicating to IIFYM, and I'm actually really excited about it. I did more tweaking. The numbers the calculator spit out were not quite what I would call long term sustainable. It had me at 35g of fat, and people really aren't supposed to dip below 50g of fat long term (and since I have 50+ pound to lose, it's long term enough that I was concerned). I found most websites recommend .5 g of fat per pound of lean body mass, which puts me at 70g of fat! Way better, far more comfortable, and my body (and skin!) is happier with more fat. So I adjusted my macros to 1.25g of protein (because I lift heavy weights) per pound of lean body mass, .5g of fat per pound of lean body mass, and enough carbs to put me at the 1774 calories that IIFYM.com recommended as my calorie goal. Needless to say, I'm way happier than just what IIFYM spit out originally. I just think of this as modified keto. Before the only macro I cared about was carbs, now the only macros I care about are fat and protein and fiber (my carbs stay within range without effort after going low carb for the last three or four months).

    ReplyDelete