Thursday, July 17, 2014

Baby Steps vs. One Big Leap

Nerd Fitness wrote a great article about Muscle Memory. Now, the article basically talks about repetition to the point of something becoming second nature, i.e. muscle memory. It's the habitual aspect of healthy eating that lets people fall back on it in times of stress, when one can not exert any extra energy on it due to stress. Everyone has stress and at times that just becomes so encompassing that we can't put thought into anything other than our stressful situation.

A big part of muscle memory is a matter of slowly introducing things and building up on top of it, like learning a complicated dance move, you have to build up one on top of the other.
Now the point Nerd Fitness made was that just like learning a dance move, you have to build up the healthy habits one after another. I think there are two types of people in life, those that build up, and those that cannonball.
Cannonball-ers are a bit less graceful.
I'm a cannonball-er. When I decided to get healthy I dropped all shit food over night and went paleo, I joined a gym and started Olympic weightlifting, I read nothing but nutrition and exercise books for three months, and I cleaned out my wardrobe, painted my house, and basically remade my life. I'm an all or nothing person, 100%. Getting back in to the routine of going to the gym has really helped me stick with my diet. It's so refreshing.


No comments:

Post a Comment