Wednesday, July 2, 2014

First Day Back at the Gym!

Yesterday was like a dream - if dreams left you feeling beaten the next day. I cannot even put in to words how much my butt hurts.
I am so happy to be back though, despite the fact that it hurts to put on underwear. I just feel better knowing that I'm exercising along with my good diet. Although diet is the biggest contributor to success, I just didn't feel like I was doing enough. I'm an all or nothing person.

Now, my doctor was a little apprehensive about me returning to the gym, which I understand. On the other hand, she doesn't understand weightlifting at all and had very little advice. "Don't do crunches or squats" What? When was the last time I used my abs in a squat? She even said no body weight squats. What? No, can't do that.

So I headed over to a few bodybuilding forums and consulted the experts of "bro-science" and found some really useful information regarding weight lifting post abdominal tear. The good news? I can do a LOT of the exercises I love as long as I start at a lighter weight and gradually build up. Pretty much all lower body exercises are fair game, which is awesome. On the other hand, upper body sucks.

I wanted to work on my push press, because I hurt myself on the press portion of the clean and jerk. So I tried a stand press with two 20 pound dumbells. I previously used two 35 pound dumbells so I felt that this was a good enough concession. Nope. I felt that familiar pull and tenderness as I raised my arms. I had to knock my press all the way down to two 8 pound dumbells. Ugh.

Oh, and, something I didn't read on any of my forums was bench supported bent over rows. Yeah, almost ripped myself open again. I thought it wasn't a core exercise. It is, it definitely is. Despite having my body supported by one arm and knee on the bench, the slight rotation that comes with bring the weight up was enough.

I think my upper body progression will be really slow for a while. For now, I need to use the upper body exercises as a form of core strengthening, not to work my arms and shoulders. At least for the next three months. At least no one will accuse me of skipping leg day.



No comments:

Post a Comment