Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Kale Chips

Has anyone heard a ridiculous amount about kale? Apparently its the new super food - much like quinoa was a while back. Anyone researched why kale is a super food? Check out these stats:


The downside to kale? The taste. It's a very bitter tasting cabbage. Like any good Irish girl, I love corned beef and cabbage, but this isn't the kind beof cabbage you can stew in a crockpot.

I've heard a ton about kale chips and thought I'd give it a try. How hard could it be? I found this recipe online: DIY Kale Chips! Plus, a Whopping 10 Flavor Options and it sounded perfect. I didn't have anything for any of their flavors so I assembled what I thought would be tasty:


Then I cut it the way the recipe said and cut just enough to fill a cookie sheet:
I stuck it all in a bag per the directions, shook it around, put it back on the cookie sheet, salted it and baked for 25 minutes at 300 degrees. (My oven cooks fast.) They smelled incredible while baking. I pulled them out and dumped them onto a plate.


The results? Very mixed. First of all, not salty enough. When I want chips, I want salty. Second, they got nice and crispy, but shriveled up quite a bit. Make more than you think you want. Thirdly, they tasted really bitter, almost burnt. That means I either burnt it, which is totally possible, or kale is gross. Jury is still out. I'll be doing this once again but cooking it for less time. I'll report back and hopefully I'll be happily munching salty kale chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment